Dialogue Tag Game
Jul. 24th, 2026 07:58 amAs stolen from
tielan
i. Look at your last 10 fics.
ii. Make a list of their first lines of dialogue, with any necessary description. No cheating, I mean don't go through your fics looking for the best line of dialogue.
iii. Post them and we'll see if we can guess what the story will be about from the dialogue.
This got uh... a little difficult given how many of my recent fics were epistolary and/or had a first chapter that was just a 'blog' post and/or completely dialogue-free vignettes but I think I managed it as best I can lolsob.
"Could Be Worse" archiveofourown.org/works/75934431
“Got the parts. I think.” He smiled wryly at his last words, that slightly self-deprecating sense of humor causing her lips to twitch as it always seemed to. “Bishop scanned ‘em just to be sure, but we’ll see if it actually works."
"In the Time of My Marked Discontent" archiveofourown.org/works/64760989
“Fuck. My. Life.” she muttered, proud that she’d managed the phrase in Korean, though she wasn’t sure if the accent had been quite right.
"A Fortunate Confusion of Colonels" archiveofourown.org/works/73104831
“Where is the Colonel?" she muttered under her breath, shutting her mouth with a click and smiling innocently as she noticed a passing matron raise her eyebrows at her.
"Letters from Milton to One's Family" archiveofourown.org/works/73104581
I hope you are well, and that the flurry of the Season is not yet overwhelming you.
"The Visited" archiveofourown.org/works/72706686
What if that certainty is just another lie she’s telling herself, right along with “it never happened” and “maybe Nick can forgive me.”
"An Observation of a Chance for a Brighter Winter" archiveofourown.org/works/71010161
“Thank you all for the… welcome of our party. Though I fear it seems that some of your people are somewhat uncomfortable with our presence.”
"The Grieving Widow, A Well Mourned Aunt, and Other Such Unlikely Creatures" archiveofourown.org/works/64706782
I apologize for the impropriety of my writing you directly, but due to the regular occurrence of your company and the assistance your Lady aunt often required of me of late with regards to her correspondence both to you and to others of your extended family, I hardly feel that improper.
"mama said knock you out" archiveofourown.org/works/61031137
Midoriya Inko considers herself a reasonable woman with reasonable wants and reasonable needs, and right now, she needs to kick her ex’s ass into treating their son properly.
"Most Impertinent" archiveofourown.org/works/56601544
I fear either my initial correspondence or your subsequent response has been unfortunately sent awry by the postal service, and so I am once again attempting to contact you regarding the disagreement between yourself and my late father, and my hopes to mend the breach thusly.
"Sound the Call" archiveofourown.org/works/52338166
This then is what he claims to have heard: a creak, a groan, a strange combination of both.
i. Look at your last 10 fics.
ii. Make a list of their first lines of dialogue, with any necessary description. No cheating, I mean don't go through your fics looking for the best line of dialogue.
iii. Post them and we'll see if we can guess what the story will be about from the dialogue.
This got uh... a little difficult given how many of my recent fics were epistolary and/or had a first chapter that was just a 'blog' post and/or completely dialogue-free vignettes but I think I managed it as best I can lolsob.
"Could Be Worse" archiveofourown.org/works/75934431
“Got the parts. I think.” He smiled wryly at his last words, that slightly self-deprecating sense of humor causing her lips to twitch as it always seemed to. “Bishop scanned ‘em just to be sure, but we’ll see if it actually works."
"In the Time of My Marked Discontent" archiveofourown.org/works/64760989
“Fuck. My. Life.” she muttered, proud that she’d managed the phrase in Korean, though she wasn’t sure if the accent had been quite right.
"A Fortunate Confusion of Colonels" archiveofourown.org/works/73104831
“Where is the Colonel?" she muttered under her breath, shutting her mouth with a click and smiling innocently as she noticed a passing matron raise her eyebrows at her.
"Letters from Milton to One's Family" archiveofourown.org/works/73104581
I hope you are well, and that the flurry of the Season is not yet overwhelming you.
"The Visited" archiveofourown.org/works/72706686
What if that certainty is just another lie she’s telling herself, right along with “it never happened” and “maybe Nick can forgive me.”
"An Observation of a Chance for a Brighter Winter" archiveofourown.org/works/71010161
“Thank you all for the… welcome of our party. Though I fear it seems that some of your people are somewhat uncomfortable with our presence.”
"The Grieving Widow, A Well Mourned Aunt, and Other Such Unlikely Creatures" archiveofourown.org/works/64706782
I apologize for the impropriety of my writing you directly, but due to the regular occurrence of your company and the assistance your Lady aunt often required of me of late with regards to her correspondence both to you and to others of your extended family, I hardly feel that improper.
"mama said knock you out" archiveofourown.org/works/61031137
Midoriya Inko considers herself a reasonable woman with reasonable wants and reasonable needs, and right now, she needs to kick her ex’s ass into treating their son properly.
"Most Impertinent" archiveofourown.org/works/56601544
I fear either my initial correspondence or your subsequent response has been unfortunately sent awry by the postal service, and so I am once again attempting to contact you regarding the disagreement between yourself and my late father, and my hopes to mend the breach thusly.
"Sound the Call" archiveofourown.org/works/52338166
This then is what he claims to have heard: a creak, a groan, a strange combination of both.